Faculty of Extension, Information Technology & Facilities
Competition No. –
Closing Date –
Oct 22, 2007
The Faculty of Extension invites applications for a term position as Instructional Designer. Candidates must have a master’s degree completed or current enrolment in an appropriate graduate program such as adult education, educational technology or a related field. The successful candidate is expected to undertake a consistent program of professional development in order to be able to recommend and model evidence-based practice in instructional design. He or she is expected to provide leadership in instructional planning, development, implementation, and evaluation.
The salary range for this position is $48,200 to $80,300 per annum, depending on experience. This is a term position, from November 1, 2007 to June 30, 2009. The position may be extended based on performance and funding availability.
Reporting to the Information Technology & Facilities Manager, this academic position provides instructional design and evaluation consultation to individual faculty members and on a course or program basis. Specifically, the instructional designer:
• consults with individual faculty members and faculty-based project teams by providing pedagogical assistance in the development of curriculum and courses on both large-scale faculty-wide initiatives and specific projects
• identifies the professional development needs of faculty and communities of practice and implements appropriate strategies
• partners with departments to plan infrastructure for course implementation or support and recommends approaches to long-term planning for innovation
• works with external clients to develop effective learning environments by assessing external projects for feasibility, recommending a development process or managing the project, including budgets and personnel
• provides coordination for required production on projects (web development, flash programming and graphic design) by finding internal faculty resources or subcontracting with external units or vendors
• Contributes to the field of instructional technology by evaluating the effectiveness of technology-based courses, disseminating their results through publishing, presentations at professional meetings, or through other means and by participating in professional associations
The University of Alberta is one of the leading research-intensive universities in Canada, consistently rated at the top in independent surveys of research and student success, innovation, and learning resources. The Faculty of Extension has a strong mandate with responsibility for continuing education and university outreach, serving adult learners whose needs are not met through traditional university programming. With 120 staff, 14 of which are tenure-track academic appointments, an annual gross budget of approximately $15 million, and annual student registration count of approximately 15,000, the Faculty offers a diverse range of cost-recovery credit- and non-credit programs and services. These include a graduate degree in communications and technology, approximately 30 credential-bearing programs in continuing professional development and personal enrichment, specialized on-line learner services, as well as research and evaluation services. Inter- and multi-disciplinary research is encouraged, as is teaching collaboration with other Faculties. Through its 95-year history, our Faculty has achieved an exemplary record of university continuing education.
To apply send your curriculum vitae, and the names and addresses for three individuals to contact for references by October 22, 2007.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Information on the Faculty of Extension can be found at [ ]http://www.extension.ualberta.ca/ and further information for interested applicants at [ ]http://www.extension.ualberta.ca/faculty/employment-info.aspx
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight MST of the closing date.
Applications may be forwarded to:
Faculty of Extension
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta Canada T6G 2T4