Call for Papers
Deadline: February 29, 2008
Notification of Acceptance: March 31, 2008
The Canadian Journal for New Scholars in Education/ Revue canadienne des
jeunes chercheures et chercheurs en éducation (CJNSE/RCJCE) is accepting
manuscript submissions for the Spring/Summer issue. This non-blind peer
reviewed journal is sponsored by the Canadian Committee of Graduate Students
in Education/ Le Comité canadien des étudiants diplômés en éducation (
CCGSE/CCÉDÉ), the graduate student
caucus within Canada’s national network of educational researchers, the
Canadian Society for the Study of Education/La société canadienne pour
l’étude de l’éducation (CSSE/SCÉÉ). The
CJNSE/ RCJCE is solely managed by graduate students with the participation
of two advisory editors, members of the editorial board, Drs. Michele
Jacobsen (University of Calgary) and Ingrid Johnson (University of Alberta).
CJNSE/ RCJCE’s mandate is to give graduate students studying in Canada the
* learn essential steps for future
publishing with blind peer-reviewed journals;
* be mentored through the publishing process
by the editorial team;
* gain a valuable publication experience;
* disseminate their work in a multilingual
online journal; and,
* connect with other graduate students and
Editorial and Submission Guidelines:
* CJNSE/RCJCE invites manuscripts from graduate students in Canada
that present an investigation into an issue in education, or offers a
reflection on aspects of educational theory and research. CJNSE/RCJCE will
consider publishing original research articles, literature reviews and book
* Authors must be graduate students studying in Canada, including
* Manuscripts should be formatted according to the style outlined in
the latest edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological
* Manuscripts should not exceed 5,000 words in length (including
quotations, notes, and references). Book reviews should not exceed 2,000
words. Authors are requested to include the word count on the title page.
* All manuscripts (excluding book reviews) must include an abstract of
* CJNSE/RCJCE is a non-blind peer-reviewed journal and as such does
not require that manuscripts be submitted with a masked title page. Authors
must include their name(s) and full contact information on the title page of
their manuscript. If a manuscript has multiple authors, a lead author must
be designated as the person with whom the Review Editor will correspond
throughout the review/manuscript development process.
* CJNSE/RCJCE publishes electronically twice annually. Authors whose
submission is “accepted subject to revisions” must confirm their
availability and willingness to work closely with a Review Editor to bring
their manuscript to completion under specified deadlines. In most cases,
authors need to be able to commit to working closely with a Review Editor
for approximately 4-6 weeks.
* Manuscripts must be submitted in English or French. After an
accepted manuscript has been developed to its publishable state, an author
may, if she or he wishes, translate the manuscript into another language for
co-publication in the same issue. Publication of manuscripts in languages
other than English or French will be subject to a final review by an
independent reviewer and the availability of suitable reviewers may limit
CJNSE/JCÉNÉ’s ability to publish some languages/dialects.
* Authors are requested to declare in the cover letter accompanying
their submission their intent to translate the completed manuscript (other
than in English or French), and clearly state the language that will be used
in the co-published manuscript. For the first issue, co-publication in
traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese, Urdu, Punjabi, Spanish and
Portuguese will be considered. CJNSE/JCÉNÉ aims to expand the number of
languages for co-publication of manuscripts in subsequent issue of the
journal. CJNSE/JCÉNÉ is also working towards accepting submissions written
in the French language for subsequent issues.
* Manuscripts submitted to CJNSE/RCJCE must be original work that
has not been published elsewhere, nor is being considered for publication
elsewhere. The author should confirm this in the cover letter sent with the
* Articles that are published within the CJNSE/RCJCE must not be
published elsewhere, in whole or part, for one year after publication.
* Copyright for articles published in this journal is retained by
the authors, with first publication rights granted to the journal. By virtue
of their appearance in this open access journal, articles are free to use,
with proper attribution, in educational and other non-commercial settings.
Granting the CJNSE/RCJCE first publication rights must be in the cover
letter sent with the manuscript.
* If the manuscript contains copyrighted materials, the author
should note this in the cover letter sent with the manuscript, and indicate
when letters of permission will be forwarded to the Editor.
* If the manuscript reports on research with “human subjects,” the
author should include a statement in the cover letter that ethics approval
has been received for the research, indicating the granting body and
protocol number if applicable.
* Authors are encouraged to use language that is inclusive and
Manuscripts are to be forwarded electronically to the Editor, Kelly Edmonds
at firstname.lastname@example.org by the due date indicated above. The preferred file
formats are Microsoft Word (.doc) and Rich Text Format (.rtf). Cover letters
accompanying manuscripts must include statements indicating:
* availability and willingness to work closely with a Review Editor
to bring manuscript to completion under specified deadlines;
* intent to translate in a named language;
* originality and unpublished nature of the submitted work;
* granting CJNSE/RCJCE first publication rights;
* agreement not to publish the same manuscript elsewhere, in whole
or part, for one year after publication;
* copyrights to any materials in the included manuscript.