i-manager’s Journal of Educational Technology
Published by i-manager Publications, India
CALL FOR PAPERS
(JULY – SEP 2008)
EDUCATIONAL GAMES FOR ENGAGED LEARNING
PEDAGOGICAL DESIGN OF EDUCATIONAL GAMES, PSYCHOLOGICAL AND CULTURAL ASPECTS OF EDUCATIONAL GAMES, IMMERSIVE LEARNING WITH EDUCATIONAL GAMES, THINKING PROCESS IN GAMES PLAY, GAMES AND EDUTAINMENT, BEST PRACTICES IN THE USE OF EDUCATIONAL GAMES, RESEARCH METHODOLOGIES IN EDUCATIONAL GAMES APPLICATIONS, FUTURE OF EDUCATIONAL GAMES
SPECIAL ISSUE EDITOR
Dr Myint Swe Khine
Emirates College for Advanced Education
P. O. Box 126662
Abu Dhabi, United Arabs Emirates
Sr. Associate Editor
i-manager Publications is a leading publishing house specialized in publishing Scientific, Technological, Education and Management journals. The first issue of “i-manager’s Journal of Educational Technology’ was published in 2004. The credibility and impact of these publications in the Indian economic and academic environment reinforced the founding vision of i-manager Publications: promoting technology education in India and present international research to Indian readers.
i-manager’s Journal of Educational Technology has effectively led this innovative research expedition for the past four years and enters its fifth year with this special issue. The Journal provides the most current research and trends in higher education to allow the student community to remain current with the latest technological innovations and to thus construct a vital and valuable academic world. The primary motivation for our journal is to encourage the commitment of educators in providing unparalleled education by presenting excellence and innovative ideas in educational research and the practitioners worldwide.
OVERALL OBJECTIVES OF THE ISSUE & SUBJECT COVERAGE
Computer games are pervasive in our society today. Young people play one form or another of digital games on computers, internet, mobile phone and hand held devices. Many educators believe that computer games can increase motivation, promote learning and develop interactive skills.
Journal of Educational Technology plans to publish a special issue on Educational Games and Engaged Learning and the editorial team welcomes both academic and practitioner articles on a wide ranging topics and approaches in this area. Theoretical and empirical articles, action research, case studies are encouraged. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:-
• Pedagogical design of educational games: The design of educational games and accompanying pedagogical issues, instructional design, models and learning theories that applies to game development, exploratory learning approaches
• Psychological and cultural aspects of educational games: Collaboration, coordination, socialization, membership, identity, motivation, knowledge structure, game culture etc.
• Immersive learning with educational games: Attributes and characteristics of games in immersive learning environments, goal orientation, engagement, knowledge construction, classroom dynamics etc.
• Thinking process in games play: Lateral thinking, reasoning, complex problem solving, information processing, mental representations, higher-order learning etc.
• Games and edutainment: Transforming serious education to entertainment, virtual world etc.
• Evaluative studies: Theoretical foundations and practical issues in measuring learning outcomes in game-based learning environment, suggested guidelines for assessment, affordances, effectiveness, benefits, critical analysis etc.
• Best practices in the use of educational games: Innovative and creative game-based learning etc.
• Research methodologies in educational games applications: Contemporary research in game-based learning, cognitive and mental processes, arguments for and against games in education, controversies, social dimensions, intellectual development, methodological issues etc.
• Future of educational games: Directions in design, development and the application of educational games, changing phenomenon in learning, trends in curriculum contexts, emergence of collective culture, gaming literacy etc.
Academicians, practitioners and post-graduate students in the field of Educational Technology, University Educational Bodies, Researchers, Consultants, leading Corporate etc.
TYPE OF SUBMISSIONS
Research papers (maximum of 20 pages)
Articles (maximum of 10 pages)
The author must provide:
– job title,
– Organisation/institution of affiliation name,
– a brief biographical description,
– a photograph in JPEG format.
In case of more than one author, the corresponding authors’ full details including email, fax, phone and address for communication need to be provided.
– The paper needs to contain a title, an abstract, keywords, a main body and references,
– All references should be cited,
– APA format should be followed for reference and citation,
– Font style: Arial in 10 pt size,
– Figures and tables should follow the references. Make sure that every table or figure is referred in the text. The table or figure will be placed after the first mention in the text,
– Illustrations if provided, should be clear and in JPEG format,
– All articles should be error free to the maximum extent possible and any technical matter must be as clear as possible.
Researchers and practitioners are invited to submit on or before the 20th of June 2008 an abstract of maximum of 200 words, along with a one page proposal, including Title of the paper, author name, job title, organisation/institution, biographical note.
Authors of accepted proposals will be notified by the 28th of June 2008 about the status of their proposals.
All submitted articles in full text are expected to be submitted before the 10th of July 2008, along with an acknowledgement stating that it is an original contribution.
All submissions will undergo an abstract review and a double blind review on the full papers.
The abstracts would be reviewed initially and the acceptance and rejection of the abstracts would be notified to the corresponding authors. Once the authors submit the full papers in accordance to the suggestions in the abstract review report, the papers would be forwarded for final review. The final selection of the papers would be based on the report of the review panel members and the Special Issue Editor.
Submissions have to be sent electronically, in MS Word format to:
– The Special Issue Editor, Dr. Myint Swe Khine at: email@example.com
– Corresponding Editor Ms. Shony (in copy) at: firstname.lastname@example.org