Position Title: Instructional Designer
The position operated on Field Hours and typically 7.5 hours per day within the normal operating hours of the College. However, the responsibilities of the position may require work outside of the normal operating hours or day of the College. The candidate must be prepared to schedule hours of work according to the demands of the position, including weekend and evenings if necessary. Some out of region and in region travel will be required.
Reporting to the to the Director, Training & Business Development, the Instructional Designer will work collaboratively across the College Teams to develop and ensure the College E-Learning Strategy is effectively implemented. Within the parameters of the E-Learning Strategy, the Instructional Designer will promote and support the integration of online and alternative delivery means through the use of technology in learning, teaching and administration throughout the college environment.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Development, Planning and Project Management Coordination:
- Work collaboratively with College Teams to develop and effectively implement and provide continued development of an E-Learning Strategy.
- Develop and grow the Virtual Campus of the college adopting best practices to ensure financial sustainability and growth.
- Recommend to the Executive team distance learner support options that consider best teaching/learning practices. Develop a distance learner support model wherein appropriate technologies are integral.
- Develop online learning student and instructor resource materials; design effective instructional strategies and technology-based resources.
- Create effective learning designs for online delivery of synchronous and asynchronous courses.
- Plan, design, deliver and evaluate comprehensive instructor development programs to ensure that technologies are integrated into the curriculum to enhance and increase learning opportunities while maintaining high academic quality and integrity.
- Initiate, develop and support the virtualization of internal systems and administrative operations of the college. (e.g.) student registrations, internal documents and internal processes such as facility, vehicle and equipment bookings.
- Develop baseline competencies for instructors and administrative staff in the use of technology.
- Develop plan for the systematic review of how technology may enhance program resources, and work with instructors to ensure that technological resources are current and learner centered for all programs offered.
- Research and develop appropriate technological tools to customize and individualize training for learners in all program areas and for business and industry clients.
- Provide recommendations to the College in the development of policy and practice in the areas of educational technology and E-learning.
2. Training & Building Capacity:
- Develop a yearly plan to ensure training is made available to achieve the identified competencies.
- Provide instruction in the use of TEL modalities to both instructors and administrative staff.
3. Communication & Public Relations:
- Develop and complete proposals to align and build E-Learning Strategy activities.
- Market E-Learning consulting services to business and industry, partners, agencies, government ministries, etc. to offer a range of solutions to increase access to resources for learning.
- Research and incorporate E-Learning best practices.
4. Additional Duties:
- This position will be required to travel on occasion; most travel is within the geographical area, with few overnight stays necessary. Some provincial travel is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
1. Education & Experience
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a Bachelor’s Degree in Education with a Post-Graduate Certificate in Instructional Design for online education or specialized studies in educational technology and instructional design.
- The minimum amount of practical, related experience required to perform the duties of this position is two years of web-based instructional design experience. This experience would demonstrate application of principles of instructional design in the creation of online course materials and assessments. This experience will also demonstrate the skills required to integrate technology in the learning environment.
- Experience in the development of blueprints for online courses and providing programming/development support.
- Demonstrated experience with virtual classroom platforms such as Adobe Connect, Eluminate or Centra.
- Demonstrated experience working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Experience working with Adults and knowledge of the principles of Adult Education.
2. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to manage multiple projects with varying timelines and priorities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of online registration and learning management systems such as Moodle, Desire to Learn, or Blackboard, online curriculum design platforms, and the development and web based online communications.
- Demonstrated ability in project management including strategic planning, budgeting and implementation.
- Demonstrated ability in developing online/multimedia courses and the application of effective design for synchronous and asynchronous courses.
- Excellent proficiency in the use of computer applications, including communications technologies, spreadsheets, word processors, internet usage, and other applications.
- Demonstrated consultative and cooperative management style with a strong student / learner focus.
- Demonstrated oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze internal and external (business, industry, community groups) needs and make educational technical recommendations.
- Ability to travel as required by the position.
3. Other Requirements
- Valid Driver’s license is required.
Fay Myers, President
Melville SK S0A 2P0